Friday, April 23, 2010

More soaps! Yay!

Attention coconut allergic readers, there are more soaps out there for us than I had posted long ago.

You may want to try these:

In the baby aisle of your supermarket:
Burt's Bees Baby Bee Buttermilk Soap

At various country stores, and even Ace Hardware:

Grandma's Lye Soap
Please don't pay more than $4 for it ;-)

At whole foods, sunflower market, and many other grocery stores:
Kiss My Face Pure Olive Oil Soap

I recently stayed at a Renaissance Hotel and discovered Aveda soaps that I am not allergic to. Little did I know how much they cost or I would have taken them home with me!
Aveda Rosemary Mint Bath Bar

Bella Vado Avocado Bar Soap.  Comes in several scents and unscented! This comes highly recommended by our reader Doug.

There are several others with palm instead of coconut oil in them that may work perfectly fine for you. You can even use them as shampoo if you can't find a shampoo that works for you.
Yes, soap can be your friend!
Oh, and by the way, none of these companies has ever contacted me to promote their coconut free product. LOL. As if they would need promoting.

6 comments:

kcmom2four said...

I love the kiss my face soap, and its available at my local grocery store for a reasonable price!

Karen Osler said...

Antoher fab soap for coconut allergic people is Aleppo soap. I but this for my daughter. It comes in bar form and you can use the suds as shampoo and shaving lotion as well as just washing with it.

Lauren said...

Hi! Do you know of any baby wipes that are coconut free? We found out our 6 month old has a severe coconut allergy. Thanks!

Lauren said...

I emailed the makers of Burt's Bees Baby Bee Buttermilk Soap because my DS is also allergic to peanuts/treenuts and their ingredients list "vegetable base" which I found suspect. They emailed back and stated their vegetable base may contain coconuts (doesn't make sense) and they would not recommend their product for a coconut allergic person. FYI.

Becky said...

For coconut-free baby wipes, I would try making my own using VIVA paper towels (cut the roll in half) in a water-tight container. There are several how-to's on the web. You could probably use whatever soap you like, alcohol/ glycerin/ baby oil/ etc. Or, even just water. http://babies411.com/babies411/baby-tips/making-homemade-baby-wipes-new.html

I always use the Huggies cucumber scented ones on my baby and I don't have reactions to them personally, but I always wash my hands right afterward. Also, most diaper companies put lotion stripes on their diapers, but different brands use different lotion. For example, Pampers make me actually wheeze!

Unknown said...

Burts Bee's Baby Bee soap has sodium cocoate, which is derived from coconuts, on the ingredient list on the side of the box.